Wednesday, February 22, 2006

wwjd opening






yesterdays opening at the Fellissimo gallery gave me the first chance to watch people behave with the text message to speech bubbles. Using the cut out 'Last Supper' that I received helpful direction on from Scott Paterson. It appeared to me that people understood how the system works... some pople posted banal comments and shouts out to other people in the gallery, others used it to play with the the last supper content of the piece. It appeared to be playful and fun for people. And it was exciting think about who was sending in whata nd form where. One woman on her cell phone called her friend in Brooklyn and told them to post and they did. The Friend in Brooklyn felt it was fun to send a text with the notion that it behaved like graffiti.

The solution worked out, it was th ebest way to go... once I was up workingin the space and they met me I think the story began to change and they were more open to a representation. It pays just to be nice. And I also was able to keep the image removal note on the piece, hence messing around with people a little bit and what it means for them to look ata piece and know what it is without the original image.

I need to write more about my thoughts on censorship especially in regards to future pieces and how I might be faced with these situations again. I thik charm and kindness works wonders.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home