Monday, April 24, 2006

Smith St.

txtual healing
public projecting on smith and douglass st. block from my apt. above the video free brooklyn video store and make your own jewelry store.

-the lighting was bad, too much street light.
-had to run power from truck battery.
-documented great use of the piece.
-able to watch people use the piece. a little explanation was necessary.
-no trouble with anyone.
-used postcards for instructions and as PR.

I tested batteries and cables that afternoon, the only cable I didn't check was the vga cable to go from computer to projector. so 5 mins before starting I go to plug in the vga cable and the one end is a male that needed to be female... I hailed a cab, raced off to radio shack on court street. Telling the cabbie to wait, I ran to the find the door bolted I pleaded through the glass to be let in. I wish I had a video of me arriving at the door and finding it locked. buying the vga cable I was back in business.

Set the truck up. had to keep the engine running (i didn't like doing that) hopefully for other shows I will have access to electricity, but when doing this type of work in public, being unknown and without a permit, the truck is what I have for power. Ivee pumped the gas. I used the ac/dc converter to power the projector directly from the truck battery. kept the phone and computer on there own batteries. I plugged the computer in eventually. using a lower wattage lighter plug.

The show went smoothly. A few miss formatted messages never made it up, but I believe the system tended to work successfully. kell did a great job of helping people use the phones and format correctly.

The crowd was good... it fluctuated, but people were into it, according to feedback I received and heard about. one guy mentioned that the lighting was bright. It's a trade off in location vs. foot traffic. The lighting on the corner was a bit brighter than I had anticipated. But all seemed to be fine, It was a good debut to the public.

I used 2 bubblesfor the first time. hence the slight difficulty with people understanding the instructions. it was fun to see the final results from the photos i took, since it was hard to catch all the posts while running around talking to people and snapping photos.

It appeared that people enjoyed hanging around to watch what would go up next. And many felt it was cool just to watch and not participate. I enjoyed watching kids use the system, they read form the flyer and posted their messages. When they saw there message go up you could see how excited they were. I wondered if it had anything to do with having an equal voice or equal input to the show. A sense of empowerment from posting a message that didn't say this came from a kid. I got excited because I would probably go to school the next day and tell people about what I saw.

all in all it was really great to see it all in action. I had fun

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home