Monday, January 02, 2006

Free will

Is that what we're looking for? The freedom of expression to imitate what we see on television, or to express ourselves in reaction to what we see on television and in advertising. Is defacing advertising simply playing into the advertisers hands? Or is defacing and responding to how the advertisers buy and use our public space the way to wage war against the invented promises they use to get us to buy their products. Or how do you fight the terms terrorism and other 'new' words in our vocabulary. Is it true what Beaudrillard says that there's nothing to do since everything is a product of the time and simply plays into the invented realities that we see... that we are just going through the motions and the movement is predetermined no matter what that movement is... is it game theory in play. What is the next move, or what is the move that someone makes (the opponent) that swithces up the routines... Is that what 9/11 was, are we now just playign out the moves following that wake up move... was the next move by the current administration to placate us and try and put us back to sleep or to fire us up and funnel us into a new 'routine' that follows this war on terror? Uber patriotism was the card played.

It's funny, I think about when I use to play war in the back yard. I was fascinated to play at being a soldier. It was what men did. It was petrifying and empowering at the same time... I liken it to when I was also a child of shaving alongside my dad, but I would use a toothbrush. My favorite genre to play was world war II. I can't quite explain why that war. Maybe because the topography of pennsylvania best matched that of the WWII Europe I saw in the movies and the picture books I had. So my friend Josh Wilson and I would run around the yard with sticks for guns in our hands, routing the German infantry and taking out enemy tanks. The vocabulary we knew was that of the time. I find it interesting to think of what kids are shouting at eachother in today's backyard's. Words like 'insurgents' and 'terrorists' and searching 'Spiderholes' and protecting the house from 'Dirty bombs' and 'IED's.' Strategically dropping 'Smart bombs' would ensure fewer casualties... I think that would have comforted me as a child. Even if the 'smart bomb' idea is still more of a promise that a practice of sifting out the targets from the innocents.

2 Comments:

Blogger Trix said...

Perhaps they would be running around today yelling about smart bombs if they knew what they were. I think parents are still trying to keep their kids from acting out scenes any more questionable than the average cops and robbers game. Or perhaps they would be playing the "War on Terror" game if they could understand it. Mind you, that would mean their parents would need to be informed first on what's really going on themselves.

10:23 PM  
Blogger paul said...

hey, thanks for the response... But don't you think kids are hearing about these words from the evening news..? And yeah they are definitely not getting explanations of what's going on.

If you could text message one thing to Iraq what would it be? If you could text message one thing to the US what would it be?

11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home